Why I'm attempting the 100 Mile NPS Paddle Challenge

The news that these people had left their own country to bathe in the river Jordan, spread among all the kings and chiefs of Florida, and as they were an ignorant people, they all set out in search of this river, which was supposed to possess the power of rejuvenating old men and women. So eager were they in their search, that they did not pass a river, a brook, a lake, or even a swamp, without bathing in it; and, even to this day, they have not ceased to look for it, but always without any success.

- Memoir Of Hernando D’Escalante Fontaneda 1575

I'm not expecting to find the Fountain of Youth, but I needed some kind of cross training upper body workout to supplement (i.e. give my knees a break) my long distance running. As with signing up for a marathon it is simply a way of maintaining my motivation to keep exercising. I much prefer training outside versus working out in a gym. So kayaking (and the occasional period oared powered vessel), seemed like a good fit.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

I got my patch!



 
I got my patch!

 It's been month since I last paddled at a National Park.  Now that the pressure is off I did a bit of kayaking on the Braden River a couple of weeks ago.  Although the weather has gotten cooler it doesn't look like I'll get a chance to kayak at Everglades or Big Cypress before the Years' end, much less the Dry Tortugas.   I has yesterday off from work so I did a noon time paddle  rather than my usual early morning as its in the sixties in the morning , great for running but not so much for sit-on-top kayaking.


 It was high tide and a bit choppy and windy.  I did see some mullet jumping, which was about it for wildlife.  I did cross paths with a couple of other kayakers but more of a friendly nod then anything else.  When I got back to the Park I ran into Ranger Kyle who handed my my official Centennial Paddle challenge patch.
Mullet jumping.

The Memorial is planning for something of a presentation ceremony before the end of the year for the few of us locally who have completed the 100 miles.  But at least now I have had the chance to add the patch to my kayaking backpack.


I seem to be overly fond of orange.  


 


 

DESO


#FLNPS100PaddleChallenge and #FindYourPark

No comments:

Post a Comment