Why I'm attempting the 100 Mile NPS Paddle Challenge

The news that these people had left their own country to bathe in the river Jordan, spread among all the kings and chiefs of Florida, and as they were an ignorant people, they all set out in search of this river, which was supposed to possess the power of rejuvenating old men and women. So eager were they in their search, that they did not pass a river, a brook, a lake, or even a swamp, without bathing in it; and, even to this day, they have not ceased to look for it, but always without any success.

- Memoir Of Hernando D’Escalante Fontaneda 1575

I'm not expecting to find the Fountain of Youth, but I needed some kind of cross training upper body workout to supplement (i.e. give my knees a break) my long distance running. As with signing up for a marathon it is simply a way of maintaining my motivation to keep exercising. I much prefer training outside versus working out in a gym. So kayaking (and the occasional period oared powered vessel), seemed like a good fit.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Derp

I mostly used a decade  old Olympus waterproof camera for taking the requisite selfies for the  Centennial Paddle Challenge.  Unlike modern smart phones this camera does not have a front/rear view camera setting, so my selfies were taken by holding the camera out at arms length and taking a bunch of photos and hoping that some would turn out usable.  I think I got to about a one out of five postable pics by the end.  In addition to face cut off, blurry, bad lighting etc. there were others that were in daughter's terms "derp"




















 Of course even one someone else takes the photo you may still wind up with derp face or worse.







DERP



#FLNPS100PaddleChallenge and #FindYourPark

No comments:

Post a Comment