Why I'm attempting the 100 Mile NPS Paddle Challenge

The news that these people had left their own country to bathe in the river Jordan, spread among all the kings and chiefs of Florida, and as they were an ignorant people, they all set out in search of this river, which was supposed to possess the power of rejuvenating old men and women. So eager were they in their search, that they did not pass a river, a brook, a lake, or even a swamp, without bathing in it; and, even to this day, they have not ceased to look for it, but always without any success.

- Memoir Of Hernando D’Escalante Fontaneda 1575

I'm not expecting to find the Fountain of Youth, but I needed some kind of cross training upper body workout to supplement (i.e. give my knees a break) my long distance running. As with signing up for a marathon it is simply a way of maintaining my motivation to keep exercising. I much prefer training outside versus working out in a gym. So kayaking (and the occasional period oared powered vessel), seemed like a good fit.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Final Paddle Miles

Post hurricane Matthew and Columbus Day weekend seemed as good a time as any to finish up the National Park Service Centennial Paddle Challenge.  That the temperature had dropped into the low 70's made it just that much better. 









Hurricane Matthew was just a minor wind event in these parts.  The only thing I noticed at the park was an overturned bench along the beach.  Although whether it was the result of wave action or minor mischief I know not.


There wasn't much boat traffic early in the morning so I paddled across the river to Emerson point.



Headed for the washed up sailboat that's been grounded for months.

As I headed back towards the memorial the wind had picked up quite a bit, and it got quite rought as I headed to the cove area.
On an intercept course for the Ranger led Kayak Tour



In the cove I hit the 100 mile mark and took my selfie - actually I took a lot but this one turned out best.
Two miles into today's paddle and I hit the 100 mile mark!


 

DESO

#FLNPS100PaddleChallenge and #FindYourPark

No comments:

Post a Comment