Why I'm attempting the 100 Mile NPS Paddle Challenge

The news that these people had left their own country to bathe in the river Jordan, spread among all the kings and chiefs of Florida, and as they were an ignorant people, they all set out in search of this river, which was supposed to possess the power of rejuvenating old men and women. So eager were they in their search, that they did not pass a river, a brook, a lake, or even a swamp, without bathing in it; and, even to this day, they have not ceased to look for it, but always without any success.

- Memoir Of Hernando D’Escalante Fontaneda 1575

I'm not expecting to find the Fountain of Youth, but I needed some kind of cross training upper body workout to supplement (i.e. give my knees a break) my long distance running. As with signing up for a marathon it is simply a way of maintaining my motivation to keep exercising. I much prefer training outside versus working out in a gym. So kayaking (and the occasional period oared powered vessel), seemed like a good fit.

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Low Tide



I'm getting close to finishing up the 100 mile paddle challenge.  I think I've now explored every nook and cranny  in around the waters of De Soto National Memorial, but for a change when I arrived it was low tide, damn close to to MLLW.

Low Tide at  De Soto National Memorial


 I ended up dragging my kayak out into the grass flats quite a ways just to get enough water to paddle. For my birthday my wife bought me a camera chest harness, so I played with it a bit on this paddle.

  The biggest problem is that trying to keep the paddle from being  directly in front of the camera lens leads to a rather awkward stroke.

 


 At this extremely low tide, fallen columns from the "lost temple" become exposed.



 

 

 Even at low tide I can not find any sign of the old NPS survey monument at De Soto Point.
I'm not sure if just eroded out and collapse or was deliberately removed as a navigation hazard.








On my return I followed the edge of the marked channel and got some wake riding in.


DESO

#FLNPS100PaddleChallenge and #FindYourPark

No comments:

Post a Comment